Wednesday, July 11, 2007

UNH College Woods




We began our first day with a field-trip to College Woods, our destination-the 'Paul Bunyan' tree: a huge, magnificant old white pine that had lost the upper trunk above the canopy during a summer wind storm.

The upper trunk, lying where it landed when it broke off, was larger in diameter and longer in length than all of the surrounding trees. The diameter at breast height or DBA was 127 centimeters and an estimated years old.

Despite my lifelong love of the outdoors, I have not previously kept a nature journal. Learning to journal and record my experiences, feelings, thoughts, and observations has been a long-time goal that that I am excited to begin.

I imagine journaling will be a journey for me, a process of learning and growing, with the journey being more significant than the destination .

College Woods is a peaceful, beautiful area to visit. Today we broke off into groups and marked off and surveyed the trees in a 150 m^2 area. Our goal was to contemplate what the forst composition may look like in 100 years from now.

We discussed the characteristics of a healthy forest and forest succession.

No comments: